Putting your foot down
Taking action to reduce gender inequality
The most important way to work for gender equality is to be sue that you personally adopt attitudes and live your life in a way that shows you respect a person irrespective of whether they are male or female; man or woman; boy or girl.
If you are a girl or a woman, never stop believing that your voice is valuable and your contribution is needed to improve the world around you.
If you are a boy or a man, respect women as you respect yourself. And, whatever your gender, be aware of any signs of inequality around you – at home, at school and in society at large. Shout loud when you spot inequalities; don’t tolerate it!
Campaign for gender equality
As aware and active global citizens we can work to persuade governments of the importance and urgency of gender equality and the benefits to society and the economy of equality between men and women. Here are some groups campaigning on the issue of gender equality; they provide information on how to campaign effectively and suggest actions you can take:
- Voices of Youth – a UNICEF website outlining areas where action is needed if equality between men and women, boys and girls is to be achieved
- Amnesty International – a special campaign on violence against women
End Poverty Millennium Campaign – gender equity
- For more information about gender inequality download our Global Footprints leaflet click here.
- Youth Voice: UNICEF site with a photostory based on the State of the World’s Children 2007
- Global Education: gender
- Gender equality and the Millennium Development Goals – a useful leaflet explaining why without progress towards gender equality and the empowerment of women, none of the MDGs can be achieved. It also lists the many benefits to society of equality between men and women.
- Voices of Youth: how gender equality benefits everyone.
- You think! World Bank website created by young people: pages on gender